Saturday, September 5, 2015

Weekly Quick Collage: The Magic Door




The Magic Door
collage, 5.5 x 4.25 inches

Did you ever work on a piece that turned out radically different from what you expected? Yeah, me too.  Art-making, I find, often involves the element of surprise. This one looks nothing like I thought it would, and I'm not really sure if I like it, though not specifically for that reason. I tried some decollage with this one, gluing on several layers and then tearing some off in various places to reveal what's underneath.  Then I glued lace over some of the other parts, which I think may have been a bit too much for such a small piece. Everything I make, though, is a lesson that informs my art- making process, and therefore the next piece. So that's a good thing, right? We learn from our mistakes, and from our successes, both of which make us better artists in the long run.




If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes.                                                                                                        ~ John Wooden



If you live long enough, you'll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you'll be a better person. It's how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never quit, never quit, never quit.                                                                                                                    ~ William J. Clinton



Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
                                                                                                                                   ~ Scott Adams



10 comments:

  1. Wise words... first from you and then from others. Mistakes are perfect pathways to fresh images...this one speaks of beauty for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning, finally, not to be discouraged by my mistakes, but to turn them into something else, or at least learn from them. Thanks, Mary Ann!

      Delete
  2. the magic often happens in the letting go of expectations, the Australian artist Michael Leunig wrote about this beautifully a few years ago here's the link-
    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/into-the-unknown-20100319-qkca.html#ixzz1iVrpdHdi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Letting go of expectations" is a great way of putting it, Mo. So true, and thanks for the link!

      Delete
  3. I think this one is beautiful. I agree with you. I love making mistakes and one painting informs the next. Some of my best pieces come from past mistakes that turned out well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I may not love my mistakes at first, but as you say, they can lead to some of my best pieces. Just wish I didn't have to go through that "Oh, no!" stage. It gets easier over time, though.

      Delete
  4. Dreamy...magical...and super-gorgeous! I love the vibe and feel of this intriguing piece! The bird is like a sacred guardian to this wonderful doorway! I think all the layers you speak of are like intuitive veils that were needed to get to this magic-door! I don't think there are mistakes...ever! they are all divine and magical pieces that are a part of pure creation.
    Beautiful art!! shine on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, thanks so much for the very kind and encouraging words; you always lift my spirits! xox

      Delete
  5. I think it's lovely, Sharmon! You're so right about the learning that takes place when something we're working on doesn't turn out as expected (which happens to me all the time too.) Sometimes it's learning that you can build on and develop something new; other times it's just learning what not to do next time! Either way it's good. Keep on doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kathleen! These little collages are really just "sketches" anyway, practice pieces that I hope to learn from, and to generate ideas for larger, more finished pieces...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.