Friday, September 25, 2015

Bonus Weekly Quick Collage: Kingfisher



I really have been making quite a lot of these lately, so I decided to share two this week instead of just one.


Kingfisher
mixed media collage on board, 5.5 x 6 inches


Making these collages has become addictive, in a way.  I love to be able to juxtapose disparate elements without worrying about whether or not they "go together." I love the constant exploration of form, size and composition. Part of the fun is seeing how far you can push these elements and still make it "work." Working on these collages is a very intuitive process for me, and one of the most rewarding aspects is that it's always a surprise in the end - I never know how they're going to turn out until they're finished. I also find that working on them has vastly expanded my ability to pull a composition together - something I never really thought about when I started.  And the best part is that it's play, which is the best kind of learning experience.



“This is the real secret of life -- to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.”
                                                                                                               ~ Alan W. Watts




“Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature.”
                                                                                                                   ~ Tom Robbins







11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great piece and I think they all DO go together... by virtue of the fact that you were led to put them there.. perfect Watts quote too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cat - I'm glad you enjoyed the quote, too!

      Delete
  3. Nice. I was photographing a kingfisher the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I would love to see your kingfisher photos!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.