Sunday, February 28, 2010

Water Abstracts (The More Things Change... )

Anyone who's followed my blog for a while is probably aware that I'm obsessed with water.  More specifically, I love to take photos of water in all its various forms.  I love the way it moves, or doesn't; I love the way it reflects its surroundings, or allows us to see into its depths; the way it distorts, and the way it clarifies.  I'm fascinated by what's beneath it as well as what remains on its surface.  I can't ever get enough of the reflections, refractions, and colors it assumes.  Water is constant change, and I never tire of watching it.

A few posts back, I discussed abstraction in art, and particularly in regard to photography.  If you click on the links above, you'll see that many of my abstract photos focus on water as the subject.  (Where is she going with this?, you may wonder.  Well, I'm getting to that.)  So, a couple of days ago, I was looking through my old art journal from when I was in the Master's program at the Art Academy of Cincinnati, and I found this:

 
I was pretty surprised, as I did not remember this at all.  This was written at least 10 years ago, so obviously this stuff has been floating around in the back of my brain for a long time.  (What else could be back there that I'm not aware of?  There's a scary thought!)  The weird part is that I was just getting ready to post these "abstract water" photos that I took last fall.









 




Interesting, huh? 

4 comments:

  1. Great pieces!! I would frame those.
    So.... you lived in Cincinnati for a bit? I'm about two hours away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you are in love with the water images-- the reflections and the ripples and all are very beautiful and they create abstracted imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just gorgeous Sharmon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.