Saturday, January 9, 2010

Some Thoughts on Change

My last post was about the new year, the challenge of change, and how frightening it can be.  In regards to that, here are some thoughts by people who express themselves far better than I.  To accompany them I've chosen some photos I took at fall's end, when the earth speaks of the past, the changes under way, and whispers hints of the future...



The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year.  It is that we should have a new soul.  -G. K. Chesterton 


It's not so much that we're afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it's that place in between that we fear...It's like being between trapezes.  It's Linus when his blanket is in the dryer.  There's nothing to hold on to.  -Marilyn Ferguson


 The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.  -Charles DuBois


Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  -Harriet Tubman


There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.  -Anais Nin

 
I wanted to change the world.  But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.  -Aldous Huxley


It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.  But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.  There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.  -Alan Cohen

4 comments:

  1. Happy Newest year Sharmon....
    I love the new look of your post header and all of the glorious photos and the marvelous quotes, many of them are favs of mine too ...but tonight when I'm overly tired Marilyn Ferguson's reference to Linus and his blanket really fit for me.
    fabulous post...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the look of your blog! nice change! great post ... just gorgeous photos and chewy thoughts... grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that your photos are wonderful. I shall be looking at your blog for more changes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.