Sunday, November 16, 2008

Four Buddhas


I'm not sure what to call this; I mean, I've never done anything with multiple images before. I'm not an Andy Warhol fan, so I don't think that's where this is coming from. Maybe it's from the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of deities having multiple aspects- such as the Medicine Buddha, Shakyamuni Buddha, etc. I once took the initiation of the twenty-one Taras, which was quite lovely, but no one has ever explained to me why there are so many of everything. Tibetans seem to have an obsession with numbers, but I find it a bit confusing, myself. But I digress, I guess. For whatever reason, I just like these images together; I hope you do, too. Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. these four Buddhas are lovely to my eye, luminescent and ever so contemporary. in diety yoga (which Tibetan Buddhism practices encompass) there are a pantheon of dieties to chose from because there are countless emotions and states of being and for each there is a Buddha to offer assistance.
    In some of the visualizations we are offered the opportunity to imagine a Buddha in every cell...I find that to be a very comforting image. Love your new piece :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.