Saturday, January 28, 2017

Art Challenge: Sticks




When Tammie of Beauty Flows chose the theme "sticks" for this week's art challenge, I knew I had to jump in! I love sticks - in the woods, on or off of the trees, in art, or laying in a pile in my studio. Here are a few of my favorites.


 Snow and ice accumulated on these sticks in my yard to make a lovely black and white abstract...



 Sticks with seeds overhanging the Kinniconick Creek...



 I used a smooth bleached stick from the creek in this mixed media piece called, "Flight Talismans".





 Sticks outlined in the light of the super moon...



 Weathered, twisted sticks on the sand dunes at Cumberland Island.



 My friend, Mish, trying to hide behind some bamboo sticks.  Not working too well.




Indigenous
Years ago, I used to make sculptures from sticks, grapevines, rocks and copper. This was the only example I could find. The background is a topological map of a region in Kentucky that is very important to me, the rocks, which have seeds or flowers of indigenous plants glued onto them, have holes in them and are hanging on - you guessed it - sticks.



 Sticks from a tree submerged in the Kinniconick Creek...



 Beech sticks still hold onto their leaves in winter...



A redbud tree in bloom...


Do you think that's enough, yet?  Thanks for inviting me, Tammie!  Go to Beauty Flows to see what the other participants came up with!





18 comments:

  1. wonderful assortment of sticks. I love how we find them all over. Smooth sun bleached sticks are a joy to hold and feel and see in your art. Which is wonderful to look at. Thank you for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammie! I do love smooth sun-bleached sticks! Thanks for inviting me!

      Delete
  2. Great post and awesome photos and work! I think you nailed "sticks" right down! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cat; I originally had a lot more photos, but I took some out. No shortage of sticks around here! xo

      Delete
  3. Loved your pics! Such a great idea...I can't tell you how many little piles I have...:) 🌻Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it was a good theme for an art challenge. I have a pretty big pile of sticks in my studio right now!

      Delete
  4. The black and white photo is beautiful. Your stick sculpture makes me curious to see more! - eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love sticks too. My favorite is your sculpture, very unique. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I would like to someday go back to making sculptures like that; so many ideas, so little time!

      Delete
  6. Wow. i can´t believe the bamboo sticks photo!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those were some very large and probably old bamboo plants! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. All those different sticks... Love that red bud tree most, dear Sharmon!
    x Ariane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ariane! I think red bud trees are very special.

      Delete
  8. what a beautiful collection of sticks!
    I am hosting the new theme, may I invite you?
    x Stefanie
    stefanieseltner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stephanie, I'm glad you like them! I'm too late for this challenge; maybe I can do the next one.

      Delete
  9. hi sharmon! i am also always very attracted by the skeletal outlines of sticks and branches against an even backdrop such as a sky above. now i know you are too. grand! n♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nadine, nature makes beautiful line drawings! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.