Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Secret Doorways



Secret Doorways
collage, 5 1/2 x 5 1/4


You must not for one instant give up the effort to build new lives for yourselves. Creativity means to push open the heavy, groaning doorway to life. Daisaku Ikeda
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/doorway.html
You must not for one instant give up the effort to build new lives for yourselves. Creativity means to push open the heavy, groaning doorway to life. Daisaku Ikeda
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/doorway.html
You must not for one instant give up the effort to build new lives for yourselves. Creativity means to push open the heavy, groaning doorway to life. Daisaku Ikeda
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/doorway.html
You must not for one instant give up the effort to build new lives for yourselves. Creativity means to push open the heavy, groaning doorway to life. Daisaku Ikeda
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/doorway.html

“She had always lived her best life in dreams. She knew no greater pleasure than that moment of passage into the other place, when her limbs grew warm and heavy and the sparkling darkness behind her lids became ordered and doors opened; when conscious thought grew owl's wings and talons and became other than conscious.”
~ John Crowley, Little, Big


Doors pop up in my artwork pretty often. As you are no doubt aware, doors and doorways have always been imbued with symbolic meanings, going back to the very beginnings of literature, including the Bible.




 Doors, gateways, or thresholds often symbolize transitions, transformation, passage from one type of reality to another (Dorothy opens the door of her house and steps into a completely different world.), from reality to non-reality, or from being awake to sleeping, and vice versa. They may also stand for entrance or exit, communication, initiation, or opportunity.



 If closed, they can represent mystery, boundaries, and barriers (Will the gates of the Emerald City be opened? At first Dorothy and her friends are told to "go away!")




Often it is the task of the hero of the story to pass through a door or gateway in order to complete their quest (Can Dorothy escape from the room where the Wicked Witch has her imprisoned?).




 When the character in a story stands before a door, they must make a critical choice, to enter/exit or not. Frequently, this is an important turning point which moves the story forward. 




Our everyday speech is full of idioms about doors:

"Off your hinges? You make a better door than a window? Katy, bar the doors! ... we don’t want her shadow to darken the door.
There are so many door idioms. We beat paths to doors, get a foot in the door, see someone to the door, close one door only to have another open, and think fondly of the girl next door." (sloWalker - red Ravine: walk to the bottom)




“There's a difference between fear and paralysis. And I've learned that I don't have to "grow up" to be open to opportunity, to be willing to step through doors without being pushed. I just have to be brave. I just have to be slightly braver than I am scared.”
~ Victoria Schwab













8 comments:

  1. Thoughtful piece...great transitions. I'm a big fan of the threshold and most doorways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary Ann! You are most adept at using thresholds and doorways in your beautiful work; I'm sure you've thought about the symbolism often.

      Delete
  2. Great post to go with your fab collage. It made me think of The Searchers, a John Wayne movie that uses the doorway as a theme throughout. A college professor used it as an example in a film class I took (discussing cinematic techniques). I've watched it numerous times since and still feel like I know an "inside secret" about the symbolism in it. LOL. If you're not familiar with the movie, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Miss Iowa! I've never seen The Searchers; I'll see if I can get it on Netflix. Doors have been used as symbols countless times; I decided to use the example of The Wizard of Oz because of the striking difference when Dorothy opens the door and steps into OZ!

      Delete
  3. What an interesting post,Sharmon. I find I use keys in my work and hadn't really though about all the symbolic meanings they could have. Opening as well as locking in. Thanks for giving me that insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, keys, yes - I could go on and on about that, too! I love symbolism and symbolist art work. Glad you found it interesting!

      Delete
  4. "In the Universe, there are things that are known, and things that are unknown, and in between, there are doors" - William Blake
    http://artpropelled.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/doors-in-between.html
    &
    keeping in mind that "Hermes is the god of the hinge ... the mottled figure in the half light... who amazes and unmazes..." Lewis Hyde "Trickster makes this World: Mischief, Myth & Art"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I believe Jim Morrison stole that one from Blake; it's a good one, though, so you can hardly blame him! I haven't read Lewis Hyde's book, but I'm adding it to my reading list. Thanks, Mo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.