Monday, February 20, 2012

Weird Light, Weird Life

Recently, in the midst of several straight days of persistent rain and ugly grayness, the sun unexpectedly came out. I had all but given up on seeing the sun when a hole in the clouds, I suppose, had allowed it to peek through for a few short moments. 


 The quality of the light was eerie, and impossible to describe in words.   I ran outside with my camera, not wanting to miss the opportunity to photograph the weird light.  After about the 5th shot, the light was gone.

It occurred to me that this two-minute experience was a pretty good metaphor for life. Maybe not as good as "life is like a box of chocolates", but still.  Just when it seems the darkness will never end, the light appears. When you're immersed in darkness, it's easy to miss it; we tend to see what we think we see, and habit is a powerful force. Things can change in a flash, when you least expect it.

If my metaphor is too obtuse, or too blatantly cliche, all I'm saying is this: when the stress eases a little, and you have a few spare moments, grab the opportunity.  I was beginning to doubt that the opportunity to make art would ever come again.  I don't mean to be preachy or over-dramatic, but I need to remind myself that the habit of not not making art can be overcome- I hope.


Okay, I'm going to go make art now. 


9 comments:

  1. yes it can... enjoy your art making... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Showing up at the work table is sometimes difficult but half the battle is won by just showing up (oh my I sound so wise...I'm planning a studio day today so I think I'm so smart...things could change in an instant!)
    Loved your found light...art in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are sure not the only one who's ever felt that Art has gone away from them! I think every artist worthy of her salt rides that roller coaster from time to time. The light always comes back eventually! Stunning photos, by the way. -sus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also experienced those brief and amazing moments of magical light that suddenly illuminate trees and surroundings against a brooding dark sky. Truly wonderful, and a gift well received. Like a sign that all is well, isn't it. Not making art right now?--all is well. I've come to realize that periods of not making art are just part and parcel of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stunning captures...wow!...I think sometimes one needs a break from always making things....not tooo long mind you but a break never hurt anyone in the world of creativity...sometimes the mind just needs to pause in order to make it to the next plateau of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your artist eye dashed out and captured the fleeting beauty of the never-to-be-seen-again-quality of light that visited... so briefly...

    you live the art/life

    you are at all times creating...

    green light '-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Sharmon. Just stopped by from the Flying Dog Studio to visit your blog, which is impressive. Enjoyed your artwork, your photos, and especially your writing and topics. The previous post of 7 links was excellent because it led me to interesting texts. I also admired your Palimpsest post. I've been toying with the idea myself, but it's still on a back burner. I will stop by often.
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.