Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Flight Talismans

This one just came together without much planning at all; in fact, when I started it, I wasn't even sure of the subject matter. I just started building layers of collage and symbols, then suddenly made a decision to draw/embroider a wing on it, and it's meaning became clearer from there.



Flight Talismans       21.75 x 8 inches
ingredients: vintage book cover, vintage maps and book pages, image transfers, woodblock print on cloth, stitching, feathers, brass wire, bone, glass, beads, found objects, stick     




I apologize for the quality of the photo, as I had to lay the piece atop 2 bricks because of the stick sticking out beyond the edges of the book cover. I will have to take a photo later with a nice black background, but didn't want to take the trouble to set that up right now.



Here are a couple of details; if you want to see more close-ups, go to my last post.










Thanks for looking, everyone, and have a great week!  






18 comments:

  1. in the zone most definitely and you know the wing and feathers speak my language...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm definitely speaking your language here, Cat! Maybe we should do a show together! :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. One of my favorites, a real visual study... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Ann! It is a study, in a way, and I enjoyed exploring different ways to express a concept. Glad you stopped by! xo

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dear Sharmon! I do hope you will participate in the Gratitude Quilt this year… instructions at the top of my blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Laura; and of course I would love to!

      Delete
  4. Am loving the depth of imagery here Sharmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I appreciate the kind words; so glad you like it!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mo; that means a lot coming from you. you inspire me with all your talismans!

      Delete
  6. Sharmon, LOVE this one so much. I never know what I am doing until I am done :-). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Annie! I usually have some kind of general idea what I'm going to do, but with this one I didn't. I like how it turned out, though, so maybe I should trying working that way again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the element of surprise :-). xoxo

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.