Saturday, January 29, 2011

Artists and Blogs You Might Enjoy

One of the most original artists I've come across lately is Vitche, a Brazilian street/graffiti artist whose art was described as  "urban interventions about environmental themes and general conscience."   He now makes art in a great variety of media, including wood, puppets, iron, mud, canvas and photography.  I can only describe the style of his work as eclectic, and truly his own. 

carved wood sculpture, untitled, by Vitche


carved wood sculpture by Vitche

untitled painting by Vitche

untitled sculpture by Vitche

You can find Vitche's blog here.


I have fallen in love with the blog- called BICOCACOLORS- of Spanish photographer Elena Nuez.  I don't know much about her, because her blog contains very few words- just photo after fantastic photo.  Each engaging post is a mini-portfolio of related images, sometimes of the same object from different viewpoints, and sometimes of objects tied together by shape, color, or theme.  Here, take a look; you'll see what I mean:

These images

are just a few

from the amazing post

called "Colors."


These are a small sampling

from the post "Riotinto"

by Elena Nuez.

Aren't they gorgeous?


Last, but in no way least, I'm happy to announce that my dear friend Ken Lobitz has started a blog called Kinniconick.  He eloquently tells the story of Kinniconick Creek, including memories and stories of the many years he and his family camped and fished at Shabo Mekaw.


For those who aren't familiar, Ken is the man who, back in the 1960's, built the original cabin on the beautiful 60 acre property my husband and I now own in Lewis County, Kentucky.


I mention Shabo-Mekaw  here fairly often; it is my sanctuary from the rat race, and I find much inspiration and spiritual renewal there. We only recently came to know Ken, in a somewhat strange manner- you can read about it here.

Ken is a gifted writer- I only wish I could write half as well.  Here's a little sample from his blog, Kinniconick:

"Kinniconick has survived into the twenty-first century.  We can only pray that it will always flow.  My memories go back more than seventy-five years and I remember the tales of my father and grandfather before me, so I have stories to tell."
   



18 comments:

  1. I love bicocalors too! awesome isn't it? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed the link to Vitche. What a fun website! I also enjoy Bicocolors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too follow Bicocacolors..I love the color:)...will check out the other two too.........have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love those old indian names for this beautiful place.

    some lovely art and color from all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for introducing these wonderful artists to us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to take a peek. You can tell just from the snippets there is some incredible creativity going on. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a grand collection of eye candy and I so adore seeing your refuge and hearing a bit of the history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to have made my way to your blog--thank you for your kind comment on mine! I'm looking forward to checking out these interesting links too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow wow wow I'm blown away by those colours . . going to check out that blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds, thank you...I have some links to follow....

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous post Sharmon.
    I love the house... and that creek.I was enjoying all the links.... but when I came across this part of the post I was just transported into wanting to be there.
    The colour of that creek.... where I grew up we often had picnics and swam in similar looking creeks... mind you not of that colour water...or reflection!
    Hope you are having a great week.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous post Sharmon.
    I love the house... and that creek.I was enjoying all the links.... but when I came across this part of the post I was just transported into wanting to be there.
    The colour of that creek.... where I grew up we often had picnics and swam in similar looking creeks... mind you not of that colour water...or reflection!
    Hope you are having a great week.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  13. jolies trouvailles, et belles photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Sharmon, thanks for introducing us to all these interesting and talented people! I can see the attraction to each and every one!!
    xox karin

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you, sharmon... of all the images, the last one catches me the most. just amazing, everything about it... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting the pictures,I was just amazed with it...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I truly appreciate each comment, and am grateful to scholarship essay writing help from clazwork everyone who follows me. Thanks for stopping by; I hope you enjoy your stay!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm happy to reply here, but may not always have time for individual emails.