This was another of the pieces I was working on for the postcard show. I feel like I should explain the long and somewhat bizarre title of this piece, in case you're wondering. (And who wouldn't, right?) So, here's the story:
1. I started by gluing down a bunch of old book pages and stuff, then did the image transfer of the Buddha grid, using acrylic gel medium. It worked quite well.
2. I proceeded to paint it and color it and glue more stuff on around it.
3. After a while, it got all muddy and floopy-looking, so I covered it with more book pages and did the transfer again. Again, the transfer came out perfectly.
4. I then commenced to mess it up once more, chiefly by way of adding some metallic crayon stuff that I didn't like. (You never know until you try it, right?)
5. I had one more copy of the Buddha grid, so I thought: why not? Yep, you guessed it; I covered it with some more vintage book pages, and did the transfer ONE MORE TIME- hence, the "3-layer" part of the title. This time, the transfer didn't go as well, mostly due to the crappy metallic crayon, which the transfer didn't want to stick to. So, I thought:
6. It looks like doo-doo, so what's to lose? I started pulling the layers apart, just to see what happened. Of course, most of it came apart in pieces. This is where the "deconstructed" part of the title comes in.
7. But, I had most of the top layer, and a few other pieces that were interesting, so I tried putting them back together to form a semi-complete image, fitting them together like a puzzle. I felt almost like an archeologist (which I have always wanted to be), piecing together fragments of some broken, long-buried artifact. Okay, you can see how pathetic my life really is, but I was having fun! I'm sure "reconstituted" isn't what they actually call it, either; I think that's orange juice, or powdered milk. Whatever.
8. At this point, I started to like it more, and not just because I got to pretend to be an archeologist. I now had a sort of pieced-together Buddha made from acrylic gel, kind of a very bumpy and stretchy decal.
9. I put some more stuff on the background, and then glued it down, glued on some more stuff, and- Voila!
I'm pretty sure the "cherry on top" is self-explanatory.